Migraine Center of Excellence
Welcome to the Migraine Center of Excellence located in Foothills Neurology, Phoenix AZ. We are dedicated to supporting, educating and empowering our patients who live with migraines and their families.
- The MIDAS test – is it a migraine?
- My Chronic Migraine
- Allergan’s Official BOTOX® Site
- Allergan’s Official BOTOX® Site – FAQ
- Thirty-six million Americans, about 12% of the population, suffer from migraine headaches.
- One in four households in America has a member with migraine.
- Migraine is 3 times more common in women than men. Migraine affects 30% of women over a lifetime.
- Migraine is most common between the 3rd and 6th decades of life in both men and women. However, migraine affects people of all ages, including children and the elderly.
- Although most people with migraine have a few attacks or less per month, 3% of the population have chronic migraine. Chronic migraine indicates the presence of at least 15 days of headache each month for at least 6 months.
External Sources and Resources
“Migraine is an inherited neurological disorder that is characterized by over excitability of specific areas of the brain. Although we do not clearly understand how a migraine brain is different or what happens in the brain to start a migraine, we know that individuals with migraine are more susceptible to the influence of transient factors, termed “triggers” that raise the risk for having a migraine attack. These triggers include hormonal fluctuations; environmental stimuli like weather or bright lights, certain smells, alcohol, certain foods, poor sleep, and high stress. However, not everyone has a clear trigger for their migraine attacks.”
Home of the Headache Diaries