Welcome to the Seizures Center of Excellence located in Foothills Neurology, Phoenix AZ. We are dedicated to supporting, educating and empowering our patients who live with seizures and their families.
Epilepsy is a neurological condition which affects the nervous system. Epilepsy is also known as a seizure disorder. It is usually diagnosed after a person has had at least two seizures that were not caused by some known medical condition.
- 65 MILLION: Number of people around the world who have epilepsy.
- OVER 2 MILLION: Number of people in the United States who have epilepsy.
- 1 IN 26 people in the United States will develop epilepsy at some point in their lifetime.
- BETWEEN 4 AND 10 OUT OF 1,000: Number of people on earth who live with active seizures at any one time.
- 150,000: Number of new cases of epilepsy in the United States each year
- ONE-THIRD: Number of people with epilepsy who live with uncontrollable seizures because no available treatment works for them.
- 6 OUT OF 10: Number of people with epilepsy where the cause is unknown.
The Epilepsy Foundation is your unwavering ally in the fight against epilepsy and seizures. You don’t walk alone.
Our mission is to challenge the community to acknowledge the value and equality of people of all abilities. We provide extensive training opportunities for families, childcare providers, teachers and community members with the goal of fostering inclusion.
Seizure Alert dogs alert others to their partner seizing. Over time many of these dogs may alert their partners before the seizure occurs. If a partner starts to seizure, the service dog will trigger an alarm or alert the nearest person and guide them back to where you are so that you can get proper medical treatment.